Audley End House

Audley End House is an impressive stately home built in originally as a Benedictine monastery, then converted into a domestic house in 1538, and subsequently gradually demolished and rebuilt so that it is now a fine example of a 17th century country mansion and only one third of the size of the original monastery.

The house, grounds and gardens are an excellent venue for a day out when staying in the area, Apart from the interesting architecture, including a Jacobean wooden screen at the end of the Great Hall, the house has many collections of items from the natural world, including an enormous collection of stuffed birds collected from all over the world.

Visit the web site